Now for the grand finale, creating the border or frame for the blocks. I chose a dark brown fabric for an accent color and then I found another blue/green for the wider outer border. I am thrilled that they are from my stash so I didn’t have to buy anything new for this project.
I want the strips of the border to end up 5 1/2″ wide like the cornerstone blocks of the focus fabric so I cut the brown WOF at 1 1/2″ and the blue green at 3 3/4″. I sewed them together as a strip unit. **You have to allow for the seam allowance. Basically, you lose 1/2″ when you sew two pieces together.**
I decided to sew the strip set to the shorter sides of the quilt top first and then I squared up the edges. This means making the edges of the strip set even with the ends of the quilt top.
Next I sewed 5 1/2″ squares of the hedgehog fabric to another piece of the strip set and then sewed them to the remaining sides. **This part can be tricky so I recommend basting the end squares on and testing the fit before doing the final sewing. I never get it right the first time.**
And Voila! we have a finished quilt top!! I love the way it came out and next week we will discuss the backing/batting question.